Chennai-Gujarat was successful due to death overs bowling: Mumbai middle order strong, Dhoni’s masterstroke decision
Ahmedabad10 minutes ago
- copy link
IPL-16 will get the champion within three days. Now only three teams are left – 4-time champions Chennai Super Kings, who have reached the finals and are waiting for another finalist. At the same time, 5-time champions Mumbai Indians and defending champions Gujarat Titans will play the second qualifier on Friday. The team that wins this will challenge Chennai on Sunday. Mumbai and Gujarat will be face to face for the fourth time. So far, two Mumbai and one Gujarat have won in three matches. Know what went right for all the three teams this season and what were the reasons that made the teams successful…
Mumbai: Surya’s stormy batting, uncapped bowler showed talent
Last season was very bad for Mumbai. The team finished last by winning only 4 out of 14 matches. This time the team made a comeback and remained in the top-4 after the league stage.
1. Surya picked up the pace from the fourth-fifth match and did not stop then. He is at number seven in the most runs in the season with 544 runs. He has scored one century and four half-centuries. His strike rate is 183.78, which is the highest for Mumbai.
2. The middle order of the team has big shot players like Cameron Green, Nehal Wadhera, Tilak Verma, Tim David. Because of these, the team scored 200+ 5 times in the season. Green has scored 422 runs with the help of one century and two half-centuries.
3. The 34-year-old spinner Piyush Chawla is the main bowler of the team, who is Mumbai’s top wicket-taker with 21 wickets. His average is 21.42 and economy is only 7.75. He is the most stingy bowler for Mumbai.
4. The uncapped likes of Akash Madhwal, Arshad Khan, Kumar Karthikeya and Arjun Tendulkar have shown their mettle in the presence of experienced bowling like Behrendorff and Jordan. Akash took 5 wickets for just 5 runs against Lucknow.
Surya is at number seven in the highest runs this season with 544 runs.
Gujarat: Shubman in full form, game changer and match winner player in the team
Defending champions Gujarat made a brilliant start to their title defense campaign, winning the opening match. The team finished on top by winning 10 out of 14 league matches.
1. Opener Shubman is giving good starts in almost every match. With the help of two centuries and 4 half-centuries, he is second in scoring the most runs by scoring 722 runs. They scored 9 more runs
Can get cap. He has three century partnerships.
2. The team is full of game changers and match winners. Apart from Shubman, there are players like Rashid, Hardik, Shami, Sai Sudarshan, Manohar, Saha, Tewatia and Mohit Sharma, who turn the tide of the match anytime.
3. There is also a combo of captain Hardik and coach Nehra. Hardik showed amazing composure in pressure situations. He emerged as a dependable and mature batsman. Both promote an environment of trust and confidence among the players.
4. Pacer Shami is the top wicket-taker with 26 wickets while spinner Rashid is second with 25 wickets. Gujarat has taken 38 wickets in the death overs and 24 wickets in the powerplay. The average of both is less than 20 and the economy is also less than 8.
Shubmag Gill is the second highest run scorer in this season by scoring 722 runs with the help of two centuries and 4 half-centuries.
Chennai made it to the finals for the 10th time
Last season, Chennai finished their campaign at number nine. But this time the team made an excellent comeback and made it to the finals for the 10th time. Chennai had finished second in the league stage.
1. Chennai openers Devon Conway (625) and Rituraj Gaikwad (564) are fifth and sixth in terms of scoring the most runs. Conway has scored 50+ 6 times and Rituraj 4 times. Both have shared a century for the first wicket twice and a half-century partnership four times. Both have added 775 runs as a partnership in the entire season.
2. Shivam Dubey and Ajinkya Rahane strengthen the middle order. Shivam has scored 386 runs at a strike rate of 158.84 with 3 fifties. He has collected 12 fours and 33 sixes. Against spin bowling, Shivam scores runs at an excellent strike rate of 175.92. Whereas, Rahane is more successful against fast bowlers. He has scored 299 runs at a strike rate of 169.88.
3. Mastermind Dhoni’s strategy is well known. Bengaluru were chasing a target of 227 and Plessis-Maxwell were at the crease and were heading towards a big partnership. Dhoni turned to spinners Tikshna and Moeen and asked them to bowl slower. With this small change, Plessis-Maxwell tried to make big shots and was caught out.
4. Sri Lankan fast bowler Mathish Pathirana and uncapped Tushar Deshpande excelled in the death overs. Because of these two, Chennai has taken 38 wickets in death overs and is on top in most wickets in these overs.
Read other sports news as well.
Chennai in the final for the 10th time, Gujarat lost by 15 runs: Jadeja took 2 wickets for 18 runs, Gaikwad’s 5th Fifty in the season
Chennai Super Kings has reached the final of IPL 2023. Chennai defeated defending champions Gujarat Titans by 15 runs in Qualifier-1 played at their home ground Chepauk Stadium on Tuesday. Click to read full news.
Top moments of Qualifier-1Dhoni took the risk, the team won despite the penalty: The game stopped for 4 minutes to make Pathirana bowl; Top moments of Qualifier 1
The first finalist team of Indian Premier League-16 has been decided. Chennai Super Kings, captained by Mahendra Singh Dhoni, defeated defending champions Gujarat Titans by 15 runs in Qualifier-1 on Tuesday night to make it to the finals. Click here to read the full news.