New Zealand won the last ball in a thrilling match: beat Sri Lanka by 2 wickets in the first Test, Kane Williamson scored a century
Christchurch10 minutes ago
- copy link
A 2 test series is being played between Sri Lanka and New Zealand. The first Test being played in Christchurch on Monday saw a high voltage contest between the two teams. New Zealand beat Sri Lanka by 2 wickets in the first test. New Zealand got the winning run off the last ball.
New Zealand got the target of 285 runs
On the fifth day, New Zealand needed 257 runs to win. New Zealand had made 28 losing 1 wicket on the fourth day. Kane Williamson ensured the team’s victory by playing a century. Williamson played an unbeaten century of 121 off 194 balls. He also hit 11 fours and a six during this period. Apart from Williamson, Daryl Mitchell played an important inning of 81 runs. For Sri Lanka, Asitha Fernando took the most 3 wickets. Apart from them, Prabhat Jayasuriya took 2 wickets, Kasun Rajitha and Lahiru Kumara took 1-1 wickets.
thrill of the last over
In the last over of the last day, New Zealand needed 8 runs to win. At the same time, Sri Lanka needed 3 wickets to win. Kane Williamson was at the crease and the ball was with Asitha Fernando.
Now you know the thrill of the last over in points
- First ball: Williamson plays the ball at long on. Slipped at the non-striker end after taking the run.
- Second ball: Henry plays a front shot on Asitha’s ball and takes 1 run.
- Third ball: Williamson plays the shot. Henry was run out by Asitha in an attempt to take the second run.
- Fourth ball: Williamson takes out the gap and hits the off side for a four.
- Fifth ball: Asitha’s bouncer goes over Williamson’s head. Umpire did not give wide. Not a single run came on this ball.
- Sixth Ball: Williamson thought of pulling on the bouncer but could not play the shot. Ball goes to the keeper. The throw took place after Williamson reached the crease. And completed the run of bye.
Williamson narrowly escaped being run out in the last over.
Sri Lanka out of WTC final race with defeat
After losing, Sri Lanka is out of the WTC race. For Sri Lanka to qualify, India needed to draw or lose their match against Australia and Sri Lanka needed to win either match against New Zealand. Sri Lanka is at number four in the WTC points table with 48.48% marks.
Also read this news related to cricket.
India in the final of WTC for the second time in a row: will compete with Australia in June; Benefit of Sri Lanka’s defeat
After Sri Lanka’s defeat at the hands of New Zealand in the Christchurch Test, India has reached the final of the WTC, ie the World Test Championship. In the title match, the Indian team will face Australia from June 7 to June 11. read full news