A day after Lok Sabha passed two contentious agri bills by voice vote, the fifth day of the monsoon session of the Parliament is likely to see discussion and passing of Indian Institutes of Information Technology Laws Bill and Indian Medicine Central Council Bill, among others.
(For a concise report on the daily going-ons in the Parliament, subscribe to our political newsletter. Subscribe here and get it in your inbox.)
Here are the latest updates:
9 am | Rajya Sabha
The Upper House has been adjourned till 9.30 a.m.
Covering Parliament during a pandemic
Sobhana K. Nair, who is covering the proceedings from the Parliament House, writes:
What strikes you the most when you enter Parliament now is emptiness. There are no milling crowds, no chatter, and no reporters tailing parliamentarians.
Strict rules have been put in place to ensure safety. To make sure that there are no big crowds, the number of reporters has been severely limited by both Houses of Parliament. The list of news organisations that are allowed inside the Parliament premises has been trimmed. Many regional and smaller organisations are barred. On any given day, there are not more than 35 reporters allowed inside the premises. The Rajya Sabha has come up with a roster allocating different dates to each organisation. On the days one doesn’t figure in the list, one has no choice but to watch the live transmission from miles away. No photographers, except from the news agency PTI, have been provided access. No television cameras are allowed except Doordarshan, ANI, Rajya Sabha TV, and Lok Sabha TV. And these camerapersons too are allowed only up to a certain point.
Bills for Consideration and Passing
- Indian Medicine Central Council (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- Salaries and Allowances of Ministers (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- Homoeopathy Central Council (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- Indian Institutes of Information Technology Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020
Bill for Introduction
- Taxation and Other Laws (Relaxation and Amendment of Certain Provisions) Bill, 2020
Bills for consideration and passing
- Bilateral Netting of Qualified Financial Contracts Bill, 2020
- Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- Factoring Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2020