By Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev
Recently, a couple came to me. Around five years ago, they believed they had the most spectacular love affair in the world. Now, ironically, their question was, “How can we separate without killing each other?”
Human beings have become masters at the art of turning bonds into bondage. In an active state of involvement with life, we develop many intimate bonds with people, places, animals and objects. Initially, these seem like wonderful enhancements to our lives, but before we know it, we are bound by our work, home, families, wealth, and even our thoughts and emotions! We have become adept at turning relationships into deals, unconditionality into instrumentality, tangos into transactions. We imprison ourselves in a cage of our own making, turning resources of well-being into sources of toxicity. Whether gold-plated or iron-barred, a cage is still a cage. A spider that is trapped in a web of its own making is a tragedy. And yet, this is what we do, again and again – enshrine our limitations, and then suffer them.
It is because most people do not know how to simply ‘be’ that spiritual traditions came up with an easier alternative: to live in love, compassion, devotion or fellowship. These teachings were mainly strategies to weed out all calculation and expectation from the human equation with life. There is nothing inherently sacred about devotion; it is just that a strong positive emotion towards something empowers you to act with passionate involvement without calculating the cost of your investment.
Once you drop this calculation, 90% of the work is over. The other 10% will happen on its own without any work from your end. If you drop the question, ‘What about me’, you have nothing more to worry about.
A new year is a reminder that time is ticking, and the virus has been a painful reminder these past months that we are not immortal. The time has come for us to move from entitlement to gratitude, accumulation to awareness, calculation to consciousness. When we turn tangos into transactions, we are left with meagre dividends. But when we learn to dance with life itself, our every life breath becomes an all-encompassing embrace of existence. We now live in a profound state of compassion without conditions, boundlessness without barriers. The time has come for a radically new orientation to life on this planet. Let us make it happen.
Views expressed above are the author’s own.
END OF ARTICLE