WFI President VS Wrestlers: Vinesh Phogat said – This is a difficult time, we are not able to practice; Sakshi said- We took this step with great courage
Panipat9 minutes ago
- copy link
Wrestlers who have accused Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh of sexual harassment are waiting for the over site committee report. Even today wrestlers Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik commented about this wait.
Vinesh Phogat Said that these are difficult times as we are not able to practice. International matches have started but we are not able to play, we will wait till we win this fight. First we want to win this medal, after that we will play in some big match.
There itself, Sakshi Malik Said that the decision should have come by now, but they have given 10 days time. We hope that the decision comes as soon as possible and comes in our favor. Because we have taken this step with great courage. We gathered courage thinking that now the girls who are coming into wrestling, they should not have to face all this.
Oversight Committee’s time was extended by 2 weeks
The Union Sports Ministry has extended the tenure of the Oversight Committee constituted to investigate and conduct the work on allegations of sexual harassment against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh. This time was extended on 23 February. Whose time will also be completed on March 8. Earlier, the ministry had included former wrestler and politician Babita Phogat in the committee.
Phogat also included in the committee on the demand of wrestlers
About 1 month ago, former wrestler and BJP leader Babita Phogat was included in the over site committee. Apart from Phogat, the committee includes MC Mary Kom, Khel Ratna Yogeshwar Dutt, Dronacharya awardee Trupti Murgunde, TOPS CEO Rajagopalan and Radha Sriman.
Earlier, the wrestlers sitting on the dharna had demanded that Babita be included in the committee. Let us tell you that on January 20, a well-known wrestler of the country had accused WFI President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh of sexual exploitation. Not only this, about one and a half dozen wrestlers sat on a dharna at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar ground demanding action against the WFI President.
Read what all happened in the WFI-wrestlers dispute…
1. 18 January Wrestlers started picketing at Delhi Jantar Mantar. In which Vinesh Phogat wept and alleged that Federation President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh and the coach sexually harass women wrestlers in the National Camp. Some coaches have been sexually harassing for years. Brijbhushan used to stay in the players’ hotel. which is against the rules. He even used to keep his room on the same floor where the female wrestlers stay. He deliberately kept his room open. After the defeat in Tokyo Olympics, the WFI president called me a fake coin. mentally tortured. I used to think about killing myself every day.
2. 18 January Sangh President Brij Bhushan came forward only. He said issues come to the fore when new rules are brought in. The wrestlers sitting on strike have not participated in any national tournament after the Olympics. He said that there was no harassment of any kind. If it has happened, I will hang myself. Describing the dharna as sponsored, he told Haryana Congress Rajya Sabha MP Deepender Hooda behind it. He had said that now these players are not eligible to play even at the national level. Also, they want to establish their supremacy over wrestling. That’s why it’s all done.
3. 19 January Sports Minister Anurag Thakur held a meeting. He talked to the players for about four and a half hours and asked them to wait for the reply of the President of the Wrestling Association. Various assurances were given to the wrestlers. But the wrestlers were not satisfied with the talks. During that time he demanded that the WFI President be removed. After this, he talked about disbanding the wrestling association.
4. 20 January After talking to the Sports Minister, the players again started a sit-in at Jantar Mantar. Now players from all over Haryana started arriving here in support of the players. Even the Khaps of Haryana extended their support to the dharna. 7 Khaps from Charkhi Dadri marched to Delhi in support. Gradually the crowd started increasing at the protest site. From here the agitating players announced that they will not join any camp till justice is done. Nor will they participate in any competition. Now they will fight for the rights of sports and players.
5. On January 21, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) constituted an inquiry committee to see the growing movement. Whose chairman PT Usha made Mary Kom the chairman of the committee. Instructions were given to investigate by forming a committee of 7 members. The committee includes boxer Mary Kom, archer Dola Banerjee, badminton player Alaknanda Ashok, freestyle wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt, Indian Weightlifting Federation President Sahdev Yadav and two lawyers.
6. On January 21, Anurag Thakur held a meeting again. In the late night meeting that lasted for 7 hours, the Sports Ministry decided to form an oversight committee. This committee will look after the work of the wrestling association till the investigation is completed. The committee will also investigate the allegations. Olympic medalist boxer MC Mary Kom has been made the chairman of this five-member committee. Giving information about this, Thakur said that the committee will submit its report within 4 weeks. After these assurances, the wrestlers called off the strike.
7. 23 January Anurag Thakur had announced the names of its members while giving information about formation of 5-member Oversight Committee. The committee was headed by world champion boxer Mary Kom, while its members included Olympic medalist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt, Dronacharya awardee Trupti Murgunde, TOPS CEO Rajagopalan and Radha Sriman.
8. 24 January The wrestlers had alleged that the Sports Ministry did not consult us before forming the committee. Not only this, the wrestlers had demanded to include Babita Phogat in the committee.
9. 31 January Former wrestler and BJP leader Babita Phogat was included in the Oversight Committee by the Sports Ministry.